Greetings! Let's Hack!

はじめまして、わたしは Nicholas Diley-です。よろしくおねがいします。

(Greetings for the first time, my name is Nicholas Diley. I hope from this point forward that all (things) will be well!)

I guess I am due for a proper introduction! My name is Nicholas Diley and I am one of the newest members to the UAT Student Ambassador Team! Despite the intro, I am not Japanese, yet I am 62.5% Asian (50% Korean and 12.5% Polynesian!). From what it seems, I am the only person amongst my peers who isn't in a game major of some kind, whether it be Game Design, Game Art or Game Programming, so I think this entire site is long overdue for something outside of the Gaming aspect!

I am currently dual majoring in Advancing Computer Science and Network Security, so I kind of get the best of what UAT has to offer in terms of having access to the Cyber Security Lab (The best room IMO :p), great teachers in both my classes of learning the mechanics of C++ and "ethical" hacking (*cough* *cough*).

But really though, it's all a blast and I'll do my best to share my experiences with you!

So are you ready to hack?

Recently I had the luxury of meeting a group, where the couple in question had a strong interest, if not dedication, to the fundamental computer components and the methods of which exploitation and cyber security come into question.

For those of you who aren't entirely in the hacking scene, we generally judge people by the type of hacking they do, usually falling into three different types of classifications.

• White Hat
  • Grey Hat
  • Black Hat

Most commonly you'd hear about Black Hat Activity with the groups such as LulzSec or Anonymous, but that's a story for another day!

Everything on the Enterprise level of the internet, or most commonly for the purpose of building up a security infrastructure to protect against cyber attacks would fall under the White and Grey Hat areas. After all, you have to learn how to hack before you can stop the hackers, and it all just matters how you use the new-found skills you acquire for messing with machines and networks!

Anyways, back on track, from what I had experienced, they were well knowledgeable and up to current events, as they frequent conventions and conferences, and essentially have so much experience that it was almost mind boggling to hear about how much they know about the field. Normally we get Game Design majors, or the unfortunate students who are like, "I don't want to work, so I'm going to become a video game tester so that I can get paid for playing video games!" (You know there's more to that than what it looks like right?), so it was refreshing to see some people interested in cyber security.

Afterwards, I found out that they also participate in the Ambassador programs for many of the events around the Phoenix Area, and the United States in General, so it may take some time, but perhaps we'll see more conventions or conferences in the area, maybe even here at UAT! One in particular may be a group called AngelHack, of which you can read here:

http://www.angelhack.com/

They're an organization that holds "Hackathons" around the world, in an effort to bring modern hacking to the public scene, and show that it is more than just typing away at a computer keyboard for five minutes to break into some top secret or high security organization. Hacking encompasses more than just computers, but everything that we can use daily. If there is a way of going around a certain scenario, or perhaps just to make our own lives easier, why not implement it?

And with HVZ (Humans Versus Zombies) around the corner, why not mod (or Hack) my Nerf Gun so that it could shoot just a little bit farther and more accurate? :p

Not all of us are bad or cyber terrorists, as there are practical uses for being able or learning how to hack! Whether you're an individual building up your own machine or server and seek to implement proper security measures, or that you're the head of an IT department somewhere, you have to know your network inside and out, and keep those without permission out. Safety is our game, and the web is our playing field; we just need a strong team to counter those who try to get past us! (Such Analogies xD)

Either way, it was a great experience, and I build more contacts each and every day in the industry, and broaden my own experiences as an individual.

I urge everyone to check out what it means to be a "hacker" and see that not all of us are bad! And if you found a convention or conference near you, would you be ready to hack?

Thanks for reading!

-Nicholas "TAE"

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 9:14:44 AM by Admin in Academics, in Advancing Computer Science, in Student Life, in HvZ, in Cyber Security