The Road to Evo: Part 5

Super Smash Bros MeleeChoosing a main character in any game is never an easy task. Committing to one character is the only way to perfect a character in the shortest amount of time, especially in Melee. Different characters hold different mindsets and those mindsets are key to choosing a main. Choosing a main can vary from anything, be it wanting to be the most technical to choosing a character you love and learning them even if they aren’t high up on the tier list.

Jeffery "Axe" WilliamsonFor example, Jeffery “Axe” Williamson is a Pikachu main. Before his rise, Pikachu was known as a low-to-mid tier character and was considered to not be as good of an option as a majority of the other characters. Since he was able to prove himself as the best Pikachu in the world and the best player in Arizona, he’s been able to place himself as the 9th best player in the world. He was able to do that by sticking primarily to one character, learning the ins and outs of the character, using them to their fullest potential.

Game imagePersonally, I haven’t been able to get myself to play just one character. The biggest reason why is because I love the different playstyles that each character offers. I’m currently trying to pick between Captain Falcon, Falco, and Marth. Captain Falcon offers a lightning fast mix-up game that blinds opponents with his speed and power. Falco has an insane combo game that is able to let him juggle the opponent mercilessly while keep control of the game. Finally, Marth has the range to beat out most characters and has a devastating tipper that can change the course of the game within a split second.

Players have realized that you don’t need to play the best character in order to be the best at the game. As long as you learn how the game works and how your opponent thinks, you’ll be able to stand a pretty good chance against most. Although Evo is less than one month away, I hope that I’ll be able to nail down on one character soon.Super Smash Bros. Melee Tier List

Posted on Jun 23, 2017 12:42:05 PM by Austin Lee in Blogs

Austin Lee

Written by Austin Lee

Game Design alumni, graduated in May 2017. Originally from Rochester, New York.