Physical Computing Studio

This semester, I am taking a class called RBT307, Physical Computing Studio. As mentioned in a previous blog entry, the class is filled with both robotics and non-robotics students, which makes for an interesting mixture. The class separated into five different project groups, and the teams are all building something completely different. I don’t want to reveal too much right now, since we are in the very early stages of development.

The coolest thing I’ve learned so far is how to use Inventor. Inventor is a 3D modeling program that the robotics majors use quite a bit. With Inventor, we learned how to create some basic shapes, how to put those two shapes together, how to simulate real-world interactions, and how to export the file for use by the 3-D printer and laser etcher.

This was really exciting, because I now have the necessary skills to use our 3-D printer! I don’t exactly have a need to use it yet, but just the fact that I can makes me really happy.

For any student interested in robotics, hardware, or creating physical products, I would highly recommend this class. It’s been a lot of fun so far, and there is a lot to learn.