Asterithmic Art Jam

On August 7th, one of our alumni (Tyler Coleman) ran a workshop based on algorithmic artwork. He created a standard asteroids game that the participants got to mess around with. All of the code was given to us to play with. Most of us that participated had never really dealt with code before. So yes, he did simplify some of the code so that there was a basic "settings" file essentially. But if you wanted to dig around and mess with the rest of it, you could. After a basic run down of what we were going to do, we were set loose with three hours to just mess around with the game. Below is the video of our work compiled together. I submitted 2 entries which start at 0:47 and 1:02.

Asterithmic Art Jam

This was a ton of fun to do, and I'm still playing around with the code! Tyler also introduced us to fractals as well. I can't wait to start messing around with those! I also highly suggest just Googling "fractal art" and looking at the amazing pictures! The two programs we got to play with a little bit before the actual workshop were called Apophysis and Mandlebulb. They are free and you can try them out. Mandlebulb is much more intensive, so beware.

Posted on Aug 13, 2014 4:36:06 PM by Admin in Blogs