My Music Mosaic

For the past month or so, I’ve been working on a project called My Music Mosaic. It was a project that was proposed by the All Greater Good Foundation to help children create and visualize music. It was completed by a team of four students (myself, Jaylyn Dawson, Joshua Vargas, and Amanda McIntyre) with guidance and assistance from our professors, Dr. Ryan Meuth and Vesna Dragojlov.

Our deadline to complete the project and hand it to the Foundation was April 5, and we’ve been working hard since the beginning of March to give them a project that we’re proud of. The project went through many iterations.

To give a brief overview of what the project does: It takes input from a musical keyboard and displaces different brushstrokes to visually represent the music being played. We had a few variables we could play with, and we tried to make the visuals and the notes relate.

For instance, if you were to play a low C, the color would be darker than if you played a high C on the keyboard.

Each note had it’s own colors assigned to it. For a black key, we blended the color of the white keys next to it.

We made sure to include many different color palettes to help the users pick the colors that best fit their mood and the voice of the song. You can see this in the user interface, where we have blobs of colors to represent a given color palette.

The picture below shows a quick example of the project. Each instrument has it’s own brushstroke, so you can see a few different instruments were played.

The longer the note, the longer the brushstroke. The more forceful the note is hit, the bigger it is. Splats represent quick notes. These specific ones were created to represent the percussion capabilities on the keyboard.

At the end of the painting, the user can start over or they can save their picture and print it out.

Although we are technically done, as we have handed in the project to the Foundation, our team plans on furthering the project. We hope to create more user customization, more brushes/splats to visualize the different instruments on the keyboard, and fix any technical bugs that might arise.